Environment and public transport
We strive to get more people to travel with us and to reduce the negative environmental impact of public transport. As Sweden's second largest public transport company, we make a difference.
We work for sustainable public transport
Our environmental goals
Our overall environmental goal is to reduce emissions of climate-impacting gases per passenger kilometre by 90% by 2035 compared to 2006. Our goal is also to:
- Emissions of nitrogen oxides and particulate matter per passenger kilometre shall have decreased by at least 80 % by 2035 compared to 2006
- 30% less energy will be used per passenger kilometre by 2035 compared to 2006.
- By 2030, only fuels produced from renewable sources will be used in public transport regardless of the type of transport.
Here's how it goes
- Between 2006 and 2019, we reduced our emissions of climate-impacting gases per passenger kilometre by 71%.
- Since 2006, we have reduced emissions of nitrogen oxides by 55% and particulate matter by 38% per passenger kilometre.
- Our energy consumption has increased by 3% compared to 2006. Accessibility, propulsion and additional equipment are things that affect energy use.
- Fuels from renewable sources account for 97% of public transport in 2019, calculated per passenger kilometre.
Guidelines for environmental work
The starting point for Västtrafik's environmental work is the Västra Götaland region's traffic supply programme, which sets the direction for public transport in the region. We also base our work on the region's environmental and climate strategy.
In addition, we contribute to the government's vision that Sweden will be climate neutral by 2050 and that the vehicle fleet will no longer depend on fossil fuels by 2030.