Summary of terms
- The senior offer will continue to be a municipal add-on, which means that each municipality decides whether to offer senior tickets and which options to offer in terms of age and validity.
- Municipalities can choose between three different age requirements: 65, 70 or 75 years (70 years is a new alternative).
- As before, the senior ticket is only valid within one zone. Municipalities that have bus stops with double zone affiliation, so-called overlapping zones, will be offered the possibility to let seniors choose which zone they want the senior ticket to be valid within. The possibility of zone selection requires system development and is tentatively expected to be introduced in the latter half of 2025.
- Most municipalities can choose whether the offer should be valid around the clock or in off-peak hours. Exceptions apply to the municipalities of Borås, Gothenburg, Mölndal and Partille, which can only choose validity in off-peak hours. The reason for this is that, travel needs to be distributed over the day in these municipalities, for capacity reasons. For the same reasons, if an overlapping zone municipality chooses to offer seniors a choice of senior ticket valid in zone A, that ticket will only be valid in off-peak hours.
- Municipalities can no longer choose to charge a fee for the senior ticket.
How do the new terms affect me?
- For seniors in municipalities that choose to keep the same senior offer as they have today, there will be no change. Seniors will continue to travel with their current senior ticket.
- Seniors in municipalities that decide to change something in their offer will receive information regarding the changes before new conditions are introduced.
- The system development required for the new age requirement of 70 years and the choice of zone affects when a municipality can choose to introduce these conditions. The new age requirement is expected to be introduced in spring 2024. Municipalities with overlapping zones are tentatively expected to be able to choose to introduce zone selection in the latter half of 2025.